The Last Day of School



So tomorrow is the last day of school!! I’m sure I have a lot of things to be doing right now, but I do not know what…

We’ve been building up to this moment for the last few months! Tomorrow, I will say good-bye to twenty amazing kids who have touched my heart, and who I will most likely never see again. I want this day to be special, I want this year to have been memorable, I want to leave a great last impression. But how am I going to do that? I have been trying hard in this last week to lower my expectations, and to up my energy. I have been letting them give me as many hugs as they may need and trying not to push them away even if I’m crazy busy! I’ve been trying to read fun stories and spend some extra time dancing and playing games. Have I been successful? I don’t know. I may never know. 

But what does it mean for a teacher to be successful? Does it mean that my students have to grow the most on their test scores? Does it mean that my students need to come out knowing more than the other classes? Does it mean that my students are the best behaved? If any of these things are the case, then I’m not sure that I would consider myself successful this year. But I do, and so how am I measuring success? I measure it by the number of parents who have sincerely thanked me for an incredible year and told me that their child thinks highly of me and has loved kindergarten, by the number of students that tell me that they love me, by the number of students who always want to give me hugs, by the number of students that say that they want to be a teacher just like Miss Schultz. My goal as a teacher is that my students know that they are loved. That they feel loved and they learn to love others. I see that in my students. 



This has been an incredible year. With all of the past experience that I had working in daycares and with field experiences and student teaching, I thought that teaching would be easy. I knew there would be challenges, but I never expected things to be as hard as they were. I had an awesome class, I had awesome parent support, but there were still countless time that I didn’t know what to do, how to handle a situation. I realize that I still have a lot to learn and a lot of room for improvement. There is a part of me that wishes that my students would have had a better teacher this year, that they would have had a teacher that knew how to handle the difficult situations and who they would have learned a lot more from. But then I am also glad that my students had me. I am glad that my students felt loved this year. I am glad that a few of my students have been inspired to go into the education field where they can make a difference too. I am glad that I had the chance to love these students. I may not see them again, but they will forever be in my heart and my prayers. I love you Class of 2027! 

John 13:34- 35
“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2 Corinthians 9- Blessed

Blessed to be a Blessing

Teachers are Blessed to be a Blessing