You are Beautiful!



Last night, I went to a bible study with some friends. We were all asked to arrive with no makeup on. There was a group of about nine of us girls. After we opened our night up in prayer, we were asked to look in the mirror and to share what we saw. As girls, we all have insecurities, which often stems from our society. We are constantly bombarded with images that we are told are beautiful. We see what guys think is beautiful and we are constantly struggling to be that kind of beautiful, to be skinner, to have bigger boobs, to be tanner, to have smooth skin, to wear tight revealing clothing etc.. This effort to become beautiful can actually become dangerous. It can be dangerous financially, and physically, but most seriously, it can be emotionally detrimental. We are constantly worn down by thinking that we are not good enough. We are not beautiful enough to be loved. We are not perfect enough for anyone. We are not perfect enough to go before God, the Almighty King. 

Last night, we went around the room and each girl shared her insecurities. After she shared how she felt, all of us spoke Truth into her. God's Truth. We are God's beloved children. He specifically chose each and everyone of us and He even went as far as to adopt us, and to send His son Jesus to die for us, so that we may have eternal life with Him. And He did all of this even after He knew every single flaw that we have had and ever will have. 

Psalm 139:13-18
13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. 14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. 15 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, 16 your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. 17 How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! 18 Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand. When I awake, I am still with you.


Romans 8:14-16, 28-39
14 because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. 15 For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, ""Abba," Father." 16 The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. 
More Than Conquerors
28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. 29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30 And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified. 31 What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all--how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? 33 Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. 34 Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died--more than that, who was raised to life--is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? 36 As it is written: "For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered." 37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

This is an experience that I hope never to forget, and an experience that I need to do more often. Every time I look in the mirror, I need to try to see what God sees, just like when I look at others, I should look at them through God's eyes, trying to see what He sees in them. I need to compliment myself, and tell myself the wonderful things about myself.

And, it is not just the physical, it is the internal stuff too. Our attitudes, our choices, our relationships, etc. We all make mistakes, but we must remember that God will guide us and help us to be better, and He will forgive us when we do make mistakes. He will always welcome us back with His arms wide open, no matter how badly we feel that we have failed. Jesus tells the story of the Prodigal Son, and in this story, we get a glimpse of how great God's love is (along with the passage in Romans 8, above). 

Luke 15:11-32

The Parable of the Lost Son
11 Jesus continued: "There was a man who had two sons. 12 The younger one said to his father, 'Father, give me my share of the estate.' So he divided his property between them. 13 "Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living. 14 After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. 15 So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. 16 He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything. 17 "When he came to his senses, he said, 'How many of my father's hired men have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! 18 I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired men.' 20 So he got up and went to his father. "But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him. 21 "The son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son. ' 22 "But the father said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate. 24 For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' So they began to celebrate. 25 "Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing. 26 So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. 27 'Your brother has come,' he replied, 'and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.' 28 "The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. 29 But he answered his father, 'Look! All these years I've been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. 30 But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!' 31 " 'My son,' the father said, 'you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. 32 But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' "

I pray that everyone will know how much God loves them! We have an AWESOME God!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2 Corinthians 9- Blessed

Blessed to be a Blessing

Teachers are Blessed to be a Blessing