2 Corinthians 9- Blessed

2 Corinthians 9:8
 "And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work."

What does it mean to be blessed? Some may think about all of the things that they have and how good they consider their life. But, I believe that blessings are so much more than this. Blessings are not necessarily the things that we have, but the things that we can use to glorify God. Blessings are those things that bring us and others closer to God. 

As the verse above points out, God blesses us so that we can abound in every good work. 2 Corinthians 9:6-15 is about generosity and how God calls us to be cheerful givers. 

Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. As it is written:
“They have freely scattered their gifts to the poor;
    their righteousness endures forever.”[a]
10 Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. 11 You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.
12 This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of the Lord’s people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God.13 Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, others will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else.14 And in their prayers for you their hearts will go out to you, because of the surpassing grace God has given you. 15 Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!

So how have I been blessed and how can I use these blessings to bless others and God? How can we give God all the glory, thanking and praising Him? I know I surely do not do this often enough and I often fail to acknowledge the blessings that I have. 

Here are some things in my life that I consider as blessings and why:

1. My family: My family has laid a foundation for me. I have been dearly loved by them and I have had to learn how to love them in return. I have had to learn to love even when there is anger and escalating emotions and how to forgive when someone acts out in a way or says something that hurts me. Also, having a sister eight years younger, I have had to learn how to be caring and to be a good role-model without be too controlling or demeaning in any way. I have had to learn respect for people and for varying perspectives and opinions. These skills are important as I go out into the world beyond by house. As I live with roommates in college, as I work with people on group projects, as I work with my co-workers, as I make friends, etc. I am constantly working on being better, on being loving and respectful. I continue to look to Christ as the ultimate example for how I am supposed to live out my life, and how I am supposed to treat others and love them. I am blessed by my family and I pray that God will continue to work in me so that I can bless them as well.


2. My education and job: I am incredibly blessed to be at Bethel University. I have grown in so many ways during my last three years there. I have grown in my relationship with God and I have been given so many tools to help me to continue to grow. I have also learned so much about teaching and how to be the best teacher that I can be. This will allow me to bless the children that I work with and being a teacher will provide me the opportunity to shine the love the of Christ on all of my students and co-workers. I will be able to reach so many people as long as I allow Christ to work in my life and as I let Him lead me. I pray Psalm 90, "May the favor of the Lord rest on us; establish the work of our hands for us--yes, establish the work of our hands." 



3. My friends- At Bethel, I have also been able to meet some incredible people- professors, and peers. From these people who are so caring and loving, I have learned so much more about how to be a good friend and how to care for others. God has truly placed some extraordinary people in my life, and even if just for a season, I have been touched by their love and I pray that I can touch others the way that I have been touched by them. They have been blessings to me and I want to bless others in the same way. Even though sometimes I feel lonely, I think about the friends that I have and how they care, and I thank God for putting them in my life, for having people who bring me great joy and who support me through the tough times. I am also blessed by friends from before my college years. I am blessed to be able to connect with old friends, and to pour out the love of Christ on them. Each friend is unique and important to me for different reasons. God has placed each individual in my path for a reason, and I in theirs for a specific purpose. I think about how much each event and each person in our lives can have an affect on us, and it is amazing. God has such an incredible plan and I thank Him for His infinite love as He guides and leads us.



Romans 12:9-21
Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13 Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.
14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position.[c] Do not be conceited.
17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. 18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19 Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,”[d] says the Lord.20 On the contrary:
“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
    if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.”[e]
21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blessed to be a Blessing

Teachers are Blessed to be a Blessing