A Good Friend

One thing that I have been working on is how to be a good friend, how to love others as Christ has loved us. But, I am still struggling. I try to be kind to everyone, but I have a difficult time knowing how to be kind to guys without giving the wrong impression, or how to put my all into a relationship when I am receiving nothing in return? How do I discern which relationships to let go of, and which ones to hold on tightly to? How many times do I have to attempt to initiate a conversation before giving up? Some of these questions may sound dumb, but they have all gone through my mind at one point or another, and have I come to any good conclusions? Not really. Right now, I am just praying that God will guide me and give me the discernment that I need. I pray that God will put people into my path with whom I should build relationships with, and He will help me to know when to let go of certain relationships. He will give me the courage that I need to have difficult conversations, and wisdom to speak to others. I pray that He will give me love for each person around me, whether a friend or a stranger.

God does give us guidance as how to be good friends in scripture.


John 15:12-15 “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.



Proverbs 12:26 One who is righteous is a guide to his neighbor, but the way of the wicked leads them astray.

Proverbs 13:20 Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm.


Luke 6:31 And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.

Romans 12:10 Love one another with brotherly affection. Out do one another in showing honor.

Ephesians 4:29-32 Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.

Colossians 3:12-14 Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.

So now my challenge is to keep working on this. To love. To be a friend. To care. I challenge you to also look at the relationships in your life and the people that you come into contact with, and think about how you can better love and serve them. 

Here are some people who have taught me a lot about what it means to be a friend! Love you all!
Megan and I have known each other since we were about 2. Though we have not always been the greatest of friends, we are still good friends to this day, and I have learned a lot by having a wonderful life-long friend like her. I am looking forward to growing old together!

These friends have seen me through a lot and I have grown so much from each relationship, learning more about myself, how I relate to others, and how I care for others.


 
Jenna is another friend from middle school. We still keep in touch and every time we meet up, I learn more about how I can be a better friend.

Rebekah is a dear friend from my elementary and middle school days. We still keep in touch some and I also love talking with her. When we meet up, it almost feels like we saw each other just yesterday. She has a heart of gold, and I cherish her friendship. 

My church's high school youth group also taught me a lot about what it means to be a caring friend. As we gathered together, and served along side each other, I built relationships with each of these wonderful people, and try to continue to care for them, though I have lost touch with some of them. None the less, I do care about each one. 

I also built awesome relationships at my college group, as we have grown together and explored our faith together. 

 Living with people will really teach you a lot about how to be a good friend and a caring person. I love each of these girls dearly and have learned so much about being a friend from my unique relationships with each one of them. 



 Along with living with others, traveling and working with people also teaches you a lot about relationships. You have to learn to be cooperative, patient, loving towards the people that you are with. I have built incredible relationships on my travels and at my jobs and school. I am so blessed to have had the opportunities that I have had. I am incredibly blessed by these people who have helped me to see that it's okay to be different, it is okay to be bold and make the first move, it is a good thing to step out of you comfort zone and to meet people. I do not be as self conscious as I so often am. I can be myself and I will still be loved. 







Dear friends please be blessed, and may we learn to love as Christ loves us.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2 Corinthians 9- Blessed

Blessed to be a Blessing

Teachers are Blessed to be a Blessing