Blessed to be a Blessing

Today's sermon at church was based on Matthew 5:13-15

Salt and Light Sermon- Watch Here


Salt and Light

13 “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.
14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

This is one of my favorite passages in the Bible and it is one that I think is very important to live by. God has called us to be His light in the world. He has called us to live in the world, but not to be corrupted by the world. This can be a challenge, and it is amazing how God gives us the messages that we need, right when we need them. 

I have just started hanging out with a new friend, and a trying to figure out the best way to be a friend to him, as I mentioned in my last post. The pastors conclusion to the message was about how we are supposed to be live out this passage, and the first thing he said was to be friends with others, to care for them, to support them, love them etc. This is what I need to do with the friends that I have, new and old. I need to be a better friend and to not worry so much about what I say or do and how it will be perceived. Rather, I know that things would be so much better if I let God be present in every interaction that I have with others. I need to ask Him to guide me and to work through me. I want to be His salt and light. I want others to see Christ's love through me. This means fully engaging with others and loving them. 

During the sermon, the pastor also talked about how we are blessed to be a blessing. In Genesis 12:2, God tells Abram that He will bless him so that that he (and his descendants) can be a blessing to others. 

12 The Lord had said to Abram, “Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you.
“I will make you into a great nation,
    and I will bless you;
I will make your name great,
    and you will be a blessing.[a]
I will bless those who bless you,
    and whoever curses you I will curse;
and all peoples on earth
    will be blessed through you.

God has loved us and given us the lives that we have so that we can bless others, so we can love them, so we can lead them to the grace, hope, peace, love and joy that we have in Christ. 

This is the after-school group that I have volunteered with for the past three year. This students show me what it means to be shining my light. These kids need love and am I able to love them and teach them about God and His great love!


How are you being a blessing? How are you loving others around you, strangers, friends, co-workers? Can people see Christ's light through you? Are you like salt, not being corrupted by the fallen world?

This is a challenge for me, and this is what I will be working on. I know that I will struggle, but I pray that God helps me grow and become stronger. 


Be blessed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2 Corinthians 9- Blessed

Teachers are Blessed to be a Blessing